Monday, June 25, 2012

Little Naked Wood Sprite

Dad called the day before my birthday and reached my answering machine.  He left the following message to the tune of "Happy Birthday:" 

Hmm hm hm hm tomorrow,
Hmm hm hm hm tomorrow,
You are older than Methu-hoo-se-lah (Methuselah),
Hmm hm hm hm tomorrow.

Click.  He hung up the phone.

Right away he called my sister and told her approximately this, "Shannon, I just left your sister a deeply spiritual message on her answering machine.  It was beautiful.  You know, I am like a little naked wood sprite with gossamer wings, dashing through the forest and shooting love and happiness into the world with my tiny bow and arrow."

And right now, somewhere on the East Coast, that little naked wood sprite is driving a very large truck down some crowded freeway, fluttering those gossamer wings and singing along with Willie Nelson on the radio.

I do love my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment